13 May 2013

We have to believe we have the power to change it

I'm not afraid of saying that I'm a feminist. Saying this does not mean that I hate men or wish there was just women on this earth. This means that I beleive in equality between women and men on every level and that those things that are labeled feminine should not be looked down upon. If you feel like wearing a pink, short dress you should be respected just as much as if you are wearing a suit. I have heard more than once that my photography work is typical feminine in it's language and colours. In the beginning I found that provoking because you never say that a naked girl, laying on the floor with a banana in her mouth is a typical male photo. I guess I was provoked because those things that we like to call typical feminine is looked down upon by society. I know that most of my followers are young women and I love that. I don't like the way women sometimes are portrayed in fashion and advertising and I beleive that It's possible to make a change. I love nude-photos, I beleive the naked body is such a beautiful and sensual thing and I beleive it's possible to use it in photos without violating the person. In fashion and advertising women are objectified, stupefied and often dominated by men. I have seen fashion pictures that flirts with the idea of gang rape and it makes me sick. I hope I will never be blinded by the industry, get lost in the same things and that I keep on listening to my intuition. Today anyone can be a photographer and I see so many young, female photographer who takes wonderful pictures in their own way. Now days when someone tells me that my photos are typical feminine I take it as a compliment...

I can highly recommend that you have a look at Jean Kilbourne's documentaries Killing us softly and Still killing us softly. The first time I saw them I was just blown away. You can find clips from the documentaries on youtube.

Recently this website http://trettiotreanledningar.com/ was banned from facebook and it's now impossible to link to it from facebook. The reason? A drawing of a vagina. I wish I could translate it all for you who does not speak Swedish but I think you get the picture....

P.s sorry that my English is not that great, I am after all Swedish and I also have a light version of dyslexia but I do think you understand what I am trying to say in my blog posts...

No comments:

Post a Comment