5 Feb 2012

Self portraits

You might already have seen some of these photos, some might have been posted here and you can see all of them on my homepage, www.isabellnwedin.com (Project-echo) But I do think it could be nice to show them here as well, I hope that I'm not boring you. The hole thing about self portraits started in the year 2005 at my second year at art school in Kristianstad. We had to do a project for the hole last year and back then I was in love with Frida Kahlo. I tried to paint like her, I read about her, I saw movies about her and I even held a class about her. I still like her today, I find her work amazing but I feel like my crush has past. Any way, my favorite teacher told me that maybe I should make a project about myself, like she did her hole life. At first I thought the idea was ridiculous, how could I make interesting art using myself? Now I understand that doing a project about yourself don't really have that much to do with the need to create great art, it has to do about discovering what you have hidden for yourself. That year that I did self portraits, using different media, I for the first time could step outside of myself and see myself as a tool. Like too many girls and young women I was not appreciating what I looked like and I could not understand if someone else did. Today it's different, I will never look like a supermodel but I don't care. I have other qualities that I think are far more important than the way I look. I look back at the girl I was then and I'm happy to see how I have grown. I still have a lot of faults but hey who does not. I'm headstrong, long-sighted and many more things. Any way, I don't paint and draw that much anymore, I've found my way of expressing myself, I love how instant photography is. But I must say that I don't take that many self portraits, only a handful every year. This year I will try to change that because I'm hoping that not that far away in the future I will be able to have an exhibition with self portraits. There is just something very liberating about photographing yourself. I have no problem photographing myself in the nude since I know that I'm in complete power, I decide everything. The only downside is that I have a tendency of being outside the frame or cutting my head or feet of...











8 comments:

  1. Beautiful and magical pictures:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so beautiful. Your work is really stunning, I just love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enchanting images. Wonderful variety and speaks to many senses.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your photos, all of them!! I was just wondering, do you have flickr? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So beautiful pictures! Great work!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you very much Anna! I've been a BIG fan of your photography for a looooooong time so it makes me super happy that you like my work :) I read your blog on Elle every week.

    Anonymous, no I don't have flickr, but I have facebook and a webpage... :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. i just found your work, and must say, thay are amazing! xx

    ReplyDelete