22 Jan 2012

The Swan (self portrait, Berlin)

I've heard somewhere that the difference between good and bad art is that good art makes you forget about reality. For a second there is something else that captures you and makes you forget time and space.  But I also think that great art is something that you can connect with. Sometimes when I go to art shows I feel like an outsider. I can not understand what I see and it doesn't trigger any emotions, besides the fact that I get frustrated. I guess that's why I love photography because It's easier to connect with an images that is somehow reality. But it's hard in one way to really capture someone with what you do, as a photographer, at least for a longer amount of time. A photograph is quite flat when you think about it. It doesn't make sounds, it has no real scent, it doesn't move and it has no taste. A photograph has to speak to your own dreams and memories.
Now and then I take self portraits and I still don't know why. It's not that I'm narcissistic because most of the times you can't see that it's me. Maybe it's a way of confirming my own existence. It's a scary thought that we are all gonna die one day. I think most of us want to leave a trace behind because we are afraid of being forgotten.



2 comments: