9 Mar 2013

Memories

A couple of years ago I saw an exhibition of Nan Goldin. I found myself sitting a long time in front of a video where she talked about photography. What captured me the most was when she said something like "I took pictures to remind me of what I got but now they only remind me of what I lost" Many friends of her died in aids but I think those words can apply to many things. When I loose someone that is important to me because they can't be part of my life any more, for different reasons, I like to take all the photos of that person and hide them away in a folder deep on my hard drive. I do that because they remind me of good things that I can't have anymore, things that are forever lost. I'm not good at switching my mind off and luckily I have only had to do this twice. I would never erase them because time heals everything even if it doesn't seem like that at the moment. There will come at time where they will just make me feel nostalgic, even a little bit happy. Until then all I can do is wait...

No comments:

Post a Comment